La Porte, Texas, the oldest incorporated town in east Harris County, was incorporated on August 10, 1892. It had its beginning as a real estate venture by a group of developers and colonizers from Denver, Colorado. Although the group advertised the areas as being suited for agriculture, it was soon obvious that the temperature was too cold during the winters for citrus orchards and that the black gumbo soil was unsuited for truck farming. The town soon gained recognition as the home of Sylvan Beach Park and remained primarily a resort town until World War II and a series of hurricanes brought about the demise of Sylvan Beach as a resort. World War II and the coming of NASA and the Bayport Channel eventually changed La Porte into a bedroom community for industry.